fstab

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Jul 10 14:18:37 EDT 2006

Bob-

Sunday, July 9, 2006, 3:10:57 PM, you wrote:

> I have examined Puppy, Knoppix, Mepis, DSL, Kubuntu, Linspire and
> Kurumin, and you were right. God only knows what made me think (or see)
> otherwise!

Whew! My sanity is licking its wounds.

> Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem. My file/picture chooser
> widgets examine the fstab to see whether or not they should put icons
> for floppy and CD at the top. On all the above platforms, it works fine
> in the project, but when running the standalone the icons do not appear,
> suggesting that for some reason the fstab has not been read. I can't
> think of any reason why this difference should arise. In my project, the
> path "/etc/fstab" is specified explicity. Could it be that the project
> has permission for access to fstab that the standalone does not? I doubt
> whether the fact that I am running these distros from a live CD would
> make any difference. Any ideas?

My Kubuntu box has been down for a while with a blown video card
(don't ask) and I just got it back up this morning. Now that I've
tested this, I created a simple standalone with a single field and a
single button. The button script is:

on mouseUp
  put url "file:/etc/fstab" into field 1
end mouseUp

and it works fine in the IDE and in the standalone. This is with me
logged on normally, not as root. I didn't chmod the standalone after
building it, just launched it directly. I'd suggest that maybe
something else is going on in your code.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net