fstab

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun Jul 9 18:10:57 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:
 >> That works fine on Ubuntu, but for other distros the fstab is either in
 >> a different place or it doesn't even seem to exist!

Mark Wieder wrote:

I'm sure you've done more testing of this than I have, so excuse my
incredulity here, but fstab is one of the cornerstones of *nix. Can
you point me to some where it doesn't exist? Solaris is the only
exception I know of, where the file is called vfstab.

Bob Warren wrote:
You are quite right to insist. I sometimes suffer from blindness and old
age. If you are right and I am wrong, that would indeed be a good thing!
I'll look into it again and let you know what I find/don't find.

-----------------------------------
I have examined Puppy, Knoppix, Mepis, DSL, Kubuntu, Linspire and
Kurumin, and you were right. God only knows what made me think (or see)
otherwise!

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem. My file/picture chooser
widgets examine the fstab to see whether or not they should put icons
for floppy and CD at the top. On all the above platforms, it works fine
in the project, but when running the standalone the icons do not appear,
suggesting that for some reason the fstab has not been read. I can't
think of any reason why this difference should arise. In my project, the
path "/etc/fstab" is specified explicity. Could it be that the project
has permission for access to fstab that the standalone does not? I doubt
whether the fact that I am running these distros from a live CD would
make any difference. Any ideas?

Thanks again for insisting.

Regards,
Bob