[OT] Market Share

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Jul 9 11:28:56 EDT 2006

Jim,

Your response to my post could have been written by me -- four years ago.

My first personal computer was an original IBM PC.   My second was a
Mac SE/3O, and I never owned a computer running Windows until I
bought a Motion M13OO Tablet PC.

When friends asked, "should I buy a Mac or a PC ?", my original
response was, "find the software you need  and buy the computer that
it runs  on."  After watching friends' experiences, I amended that to
include "But most people seem to have an easier time learning how  to
use a Mac."   I would grit my teeth and smile when friends who set
out to buy a Mac came home with Circuit City's "computer de jour" --
and asked me for help when the damn thing crashed.

I would smile smugly while watching my son and my brother-in-law,
both certified Microsoft engineers, struggle to install a new device
on my brother's PC.   And I said to myself "NO  WAY!"  when "Pirates
of the Silicon Valley" (or a PBS documentary of the same genre)
concluded that Apple lost the O/S war when Windows replaced MS/DOS.

But times have changed, and I would suggest that every "Mac bigot" --
to use Dan Shafer's term affectionately -- who believes this is still
the state of the Windows platforms should test her/his perception as
it applies to today's technology.

After 15 years of Mac ownership, I wouldn't buy another Apple
computer that doesn't support ink input and profile screen
orientation.  My keyboard sits in a drawer, and virtually never sees
the light of day.

The pen is mightier than the mouse!

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company