[OT] Market Share

Jim Carwardine JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com
Sat Jul 8 14:22:12 EDT 2006

Rob...

I should have been more clear on what I meant.  I don't argue that there are
refinements on the PC that don't appear on the Mac, as you have listed.  One
would have to expect that given the proliferation of PC's as an economic
base for such things...

I'm not techy either, just a person who has been around computers since Adam
- or so it seems some time.

My point about technology was in reference to the points I made earlier
about OS integration, architecture and standards - mainly standards.
Although the PC world has somewhat adopted the look of standards, IMO they
don't have the level of sophistication that is embedded in the Mac.  People
expect the Mac to work.  Anything else is abnormal.

People expect buggy software from MS and are prepared to live with crashes,
corrupted data, regular bug fixes, arbitrary changes in menu items and
application features, etc.

I only meant that the fact that Mac has switched to Intel does not imply
that it will become a PC.  The Mac will carry it's standards and level of
sophistication with it.  I'm sure Jobs is banking on the WOW factor when PC
iPod/iTunes users switch to the Mac because it has Intel and experience the
result of consistency and standards.

I'll bet they tell their friends...

Interesting too that Apple's experiment with the Newton was stopped.  I'll
bet this is another loop and that the Newton will come winging around again
disguised as a super iPod or something.  Wasn't it Andre or somebody on this
list who still uses a Newton, said that the Newton still does some things
better than the current crop of PDAs?

It could be that the iPod eventually morphs into Job's toaster quicker than
the iMac...

That's all... Jim

--

www.TalentSeeker.ca   www.HiringSmart.ca/ns   www.KeepingTheBest.ca/ns
<http://www.OwnYourFuture-net.com>

Own Your Future Consulting Services Limited,
23 Shoal Cove Road, Seabright, Nova Scotia, Canada.  B3Z 3A9
Phone: 902-823-2339. Fax: 902-823-2139