Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Fri Jul 7 18:58:17 EDT 2006

On the other hand just take a look at free tools like Perl, Python, Tcl/Tk,
shells and a dozen of others. They are available for all Linuxes even the
small ones (this means it is possible!), Windowses and MacOS'es, and note
that they are free with thousands of modules for every imaginable purpose,
large international users community and books published by SAMS and Oreily.
Take a look at commercial IDE's currently dominated by Active State. For
Windows they already offer Visual RAD Environment through Visual Studio
plugins they create. I guess they keep working on Linux too. These languages
are well tested by time and widely used for very serious jobs like gene
sequencing, bioinformatics, server-side soft, etc... So their quality makes
no doubt... But they still lack some Visual features that the Revolution has

Where am I turning your attention to?.. -To the fact that it is just a
question of time when either commercial or open source Tk building
environments are going to reach comparable level to that of the Revolution
RAD. Tk is now sort of an natural standard in creating GUIs for Tcl, Perl,
Python, etc. And there are other players in the market like creators of wx
widgets technology. Now imagine what happens if untill that time Revolution
s support for Linuxes will still be limited ?.. Will the market share
increase for the tool if other free or commercial tools can do same RAD jobs
or even more with dozen of different syntaxes at once - satisfying nearly
all styles of programming and at the same time being naturally and truly
multiplatform ?

Considering the embedded browser - there is a possibility to embed Mozilla
for this purpse just go and take a look here:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/
Simply because Mozilla exists and runs on every Linux with Gnome, KDE or
other decent graphical environments. Its licence isn't very restrictive and
it has own xml based Chrome (Mozilla's GUI) manipulation tools.

Is it worth efforts. I think so. Why ? - Just observe the flow of history...
In my country (Lithuania) just a decade ago everybody used MS Windows. It
was 100 dirty illegal and it was on 100% of PC's everywhere, just because of
the economical differences between the Eastern Europe and Western World.
Then BSA (business software alliance) backed by the Microsoft stepped into
our land - and see what happens next - small companies, many of them, went
bancrupt after actions of the BSA, because they took everything including
these very PC's and enforced large fines. All this happened in the country
with economy still in transition. The result now is that 1) in private
business sector all Windowses became legal, 2) people look ironically at
Microsoft's claims for caring about others business or saving money because
it used to ruin their business not so long years ago, 3) Linux is already on
the rise - 80% of IT companies run at least several Linux boxes at their
offices. Linux is popular among students and young people who want to be
called "hackers". Just several years ago people smiled on Linux or Open
Source. Now they became a part of a positive image: oh you use Linux -
respect ! You don't know what Linux stands for - then you are a "poor lamer"
 Linux already became adopted as an alternative OS in many small companies
without any enforcement. Well, maybe with help of the BSA "legal" actions.
Also resistance of governemental institutions to adopt Linux makes waves in
educated public because this is just one more way how lazy bureaucracy
wastes our taxes as every bureucrat needs at least two PC's - desktop and
laptop, and one thinks to make an impession of a "highly professional" if
Windows XP displays "professional" on its boot screen :-) - what costs
additional money.

Not to mention that nearly all scientific r/d projects emphasize importance
of using Open Source, just because they have limited funding.
So the world is changing rapidly. No, I do not think Windows is dying, but
it is no more the only usable environment for any kind of work. This is
enough for the market change to begin. Also note that enterprises like IBM,
Novel and many others keep investing more and more into Linux world. Or
maybe they are all simply wrong...

All the best!
Viktoras