Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Rishi Viner rishi at puredata.com.au
Fri Jul 7 02:33:57 EDT 2006

On Friday 07 July 2006 04:47, Viktoras Didziulis wrote:
> I personally have Ubuntu linux (Debian family) installed on my laptop PC
> and PC as the second OS.

Talking about different families of Linux is probably more relevant. The
differences often come down to the package manager, mainly.
Red Hat - RPM
Debian - APT
Gentoo - Portage
etc

Most of the other distros come in to the category of someone wanting to take
one of those frameworks and make a new distro from it by tailoring it for a
particular use, eg server, desktop, home theater, nubie, guru, live CD,
commercial, free only or just "I can do it better". They don't start from
scratch but use another distro in the family and branch off from it.

> Regarding the criterions I would suggest taking compliance with LSB 3.1
> standard as the main criteria because that's what all the standard is
> for... All serious Linuxes should implement this standard.

Good choice and more productive to back the standard than a particular distro.
You would probably get more mileage from just stating the requirements for
Rev, than by stating compliance with a given distro. The distros change
regularly, if you state compliance with SuSE you had better maintain that
even though SuSE will have new versions out many times per year with
significant differences. E.g. audio should soon be jumping from Alsa to Jack,
probably across many distros.

My 2c.

--
Rishi Viner