Dependence on Programming Experts

GregSmith brucegregory at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 6 17:13:25 EDT 2006

Rodney:

Thank you for taking the time to clarify these things for me.  I'm beginning
to understand Revolution . . . but, now that Dan has got me looking at
Squeak . . .  and I've spent the last 8 hours doing so, I'm absolutely
fascinated from the point of view of starting from absolute scratch, which I
would like to do.  A clean slate, a blank canvas a fresh mind.

I've looked at and played with EToys, watched Alan Kay demonstrate and
explain the concepts behind Squeak and learning, in general; and now can see
why Dan sent me over there.  My set of dream applications really do fit into
the immediate capabilities of this environment.  And, (here is the
clincher), it has a learning system for kids, (that's me), that assumes next
to nothing regarding its users.  I'm not ashamed to learn as though I were a
child, as fresh as a dew-picked strawberry, undefiled by the ravages of time
and age.

To tell you the truth, I think Alan Kay is right when he says that the real
computer revolution hasn't even begun.  I also think he is right, from the
standpoint of efficiency, and the direct creation of all new assets, (which
I would intend to do), that the current operating system paradigm needs to
be abandoned in favor of an all new, truly object oriented one.  It just
makes sense to me.

I hope Dan has some more to add to his recommendation to help clarify these
issues even more.

Thanks again,

Greg Smith