Dependence on Programming Experts

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Thu Jul 6 03:11:48 EDT 2006

Greg Smith wrote:
>It is the required use of languages like these that force users like
>us to become "dumbed down". Need we submit to this kind of
>humiliation?

Greg,

It isn't the users that need to be "dumbed down". Rather, it is the
environment that Jacqueline was referring to. You are essentially
asking for someone to create a simple (and for want of a better term)
dumbed down environment that will allow you to create exactly the
kind of programs that you want. All without having to spend the time
learning to program. There is no such thing. Unless someone else has
the exact same vision as you and wants to develop such a tool using a
programming language, it will never exist.

You aren't looking for a smarter tool. You are asking to avoid
spending the time learning what is necessary to create the tool you
want. A tool that is limited to doing what you want is "dumber" than
a general purpose programming environment such as Revolution. By
"dumber" I mean that it is more specialized and removes many of the
features and adds others to make it easier to do just what you want.

Could Revolution be an easier environment to work with? Absolutely.
It could include better tools for a lot of what it does. Even from
the developers' standpoint it could be a better language, such as
implementing true object oriented features. However, it currently
seems to be, at least for most of the people here, the best general
purpose environment for creating a wide variety of programs.

What you are asking for doesn't exist at this time. Unless you can
show the folks at Runtime Revolution that there is a real business
case for what you are looking for, they probably won't give it to
you. Their customer base is already too varied and there are too many
demands on them to add features already for them to produce the
environment that you want.

-Rodney