Linux on PPC and RR

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 15:40:51 EDT 2006

As most list users by now will know: I run a micro-school in Bulgaria with
3 Pentium 3s running Ubuntu Linux 5.10.

I program all my 'stuff' for the children I teach English to on a number
of G4 Macs I have using both my Dreamcard 2.6.1 and my RR Media 2.7.2 -
I then run the end results on the Ubuntu Boxes using stack runner for the ones
that use sound and standalones generated via the Novell Free version of RR (2.2.1).

Now on my G4 Mirror door, dual-processor I have 4 hard-disks and the
smallest HD has Kubuntu PPC (now at 6.06) so that I can test out Linuxy
things without having to crank up one of the PCs over at the school.

Now, for some daft reason, I thought I would pop RR for Linux 2.2.1 on the G4
 - and, it, did, not, work (and, the, commas, signal, something, which, is,
probably, better, not, put, into, words).

Does this mean that:

Runtime Revolution for Linux only works on Intel machines?

As I am gently moving away from all forms of commercial software towards OpenSource
(on my income in Bulgaria, I have a straight choice: do what most Bulgarians do:
i.e. live in a totally Pirate, totally Windows world - not good, and potentially a bit risky
when the country manages to sneak into the European Community - or use Free software),
the only software I am likely to pay for in the future is Runtime Revolution. But my Macs
(despite their not being the most modern) will be good and servicable for many years to come
(believe me, I still use a BBC Master to teach PASCAL and BASIC) - especially if they
become dual-system with both Mac OS and a form of PPC Linux.

Please don't tell me I am the only person running Linux on a PPC; because I am not!

Having got comfortable with Linux on PPCs I am tempted when I can scrape the
odd bawbee together to invest in one of the new 4 processor PPCs that are coming
onto the market (without grey apples on their cases).

Now, if RR can run up a Universal Binary of their product, it should not be that difficult to
adapt their UNIX (i.e. Mac OS X) version fo RR for Linux on PPC.

OK, OK, lone wolves, and Richmond always being a pain in the microchips - but
somebody has to be!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

PS. By the way . . . has anybody else discoverd "GIMPSHOP" ? its GIMP "tarted up" for those of
us who got used to Photoshop but can no longer stump up the money - its really very good indeed!

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006