What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 5 11:02:24 EDT 2006

Peter T. Evensen wrote:

> This thread has gone on a bit, but I just wanted to chime in.  The main
> reason we are getting pressure to deliver a browser-based solution is that
> schools do not want to go and "touch" each machine to install
> anything.  This includes a new plug-in.  Requiring plug-in removes the
> reason for wanting a browser-based product.

That's been the primary concern with every IT manager I've spoken with
on this issue as well.

With consumers it's not a problem:  most of them will simply not
download and install the plugin, so it's no problem for them to just
move on to any other page on the web. ;)

> Granted, Revolution could deliver the same thing with a small runtime that
> is installed on a server someplace, eliminating the need to install
> anything on the client,

You'd still need some sort of client to run downloaded elements, unless
I misunderstand the scenario you envision.

> but then everything would have to be redone in Revolution.

Repurposing content is a major task that ultimately affects us all at
one time or another.  May I ask what sort of formats these content
elements are currently in?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation