What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Jul 4 23:42:04 EDT 2006

There is no such thing as a "plugin war" and never has been one -- people
can and do have multiple plugins. New ones are still being created. It's not
a zero-sum game. No comparison to the "browser war" which apparently still
rages on.

Last I checked, ViewPoint/Enliven was doing quite nicely. They have a
significant share of the market for presenting 3D models in browsers. They
compete with Anark, WildTangent, and Holomatix, among others. One wonders
how so many plugins for just one segment of the market could survive if the
only game in town was Flash.

"Let's get serious" -- If the future is in "AJAX, DOM, Jscript and
Frameworks" then we're all wasting our time coding in TranScript or xTalk or
whatever you want to call it, as none of those technologies speak our
language. We might as well "invest" our time learning those technologies if
you're right and we're "worth our salt."

"Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com> wrote in
message news:7aa52a210607041913s50f5d60bk1e4ad8ec7ec3f677 at mail.gmail.com...