What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Jul 3 07:17:37 EDT 2006

Brian Yennie wrote:
> I meant company resources - Supercard made a lot of us wary of these kinds
> of projects for better or worse, as it ate up several companies along the
> way. Windows port, browser plugin, they both quite literally sunk small
> companies. BTW - Supercard was not an Apple product - only Hypercard was.
> Supercard was owned by a string of small companies much like RunRev (in
> size, I must say RunRev has had more success than any of them IMO).

Well, I think the SuperCard example ultimately works against the "someone
tried it before and failed miserably so it shouldn't be tried again" line of
reasoning.

A lot of us aren't using SuperCard because it doesn't run on Windows. I
certainly share the *impression* that RunRev is a much healthier company --
perhaps in no small part because of its xplat ability. RunRev Studio's
tagline is, "Code once, deploy everywhere," isn't it? One company's
albatross is another's eagle.

Or perhaps I mean, "blue jay?" Going to the RunRev homepage I see a cute
little banner, "Avoid Extinction with Universal Binary Support" ... the sad
dinosaurs are SuperCard users?