What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 3 05:20:54 EDT 2006

Bill Marriott wrote:
> By a plug-in "comparable [to Rev]" I mean Director of course. Director's
> lingo is/was even a variant of HyperTalk, before it transmogrified into a
> multi-headed ECMAscript beast.

Director is still available, serving the audience that needs it well.

> In one of my earlier posts, I did comment that the browser "sandbox" would
> be the hardest aspect of a Rev plugin. Presumably one wouldn't be able to
> access the local system at all. And you wouldn't be able to spawn new
> windows, either. Not all technical issues are "spurious" but some of the
> ones bandied about certainly are.
>
> By the way... Clearly this is about using Rev to write "stacks" that target
> the browser... not to expect to run any Rev stack without modification
> "within" a browser window.

Exactly.  Since there's only a subset of things which are worth putting
into a browser window, why not use the engine already in the browser as
the presentation layer:  JavaScript/DHTML?

>> Anyway, perhaps we can agree - there are more than spurious technical
>> hurdles, but some of us think they would be worth it (even though I do
>> not).
>
> Yes...  it's a big job.

I haven't found an investor willing to back it.  Maybe I'm just not well
connected.  I would enjoy seeing anyone able demonstrate the business
case for this plugin with an investor willing to underwrite it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal