Maximum image size

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Sun Jul 2 22:18:02 EDT 2006

On 07/02/2006 at 06:30 PM, Sarah Reichelt <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com>wrote:
> It's related to the number of pixels rather than the size of the
> image. I have a 3 MB JPG that's 6572 x 8293 pixels. That will not
> display correctly and resizing the image object makes no difference.
> However a 9 MB file that is only 3303 x 3015 pixels will display
> perfectly. I want to do some tests to confirm the exact point at which
> the problems occur: it does not fail just because one of the
> dimensions is over 4096 pixels, as I can display an image that is 3048
> x 9280. So the limiting factor must be the 2 dimensions multiplied.

Sarah,

I would be very interested in knowing the exact recipe that produces this
"scrambled cable channel" effect with large images in Mac OS. I have an
application that works 95% of the time, but certain large images will
fail. I've noticed that sometimes the image is fine at first, but the user
needs it rotated 90 degrees. They rotate it, and BAM, scrambled image.

Prior to the release of 2.7.x of Rev, I was told that the image handling
routines were going to be reworked in 2.7 (for Mac and Win). Yes, Windows
has problems too, but different... large file size images cause
significant slowdown of the app. Anyway, I contacted Runtime and was told
that the image routine improvements did not happen in 2.7, but resources
were instead focused on improved vector graphic features like
antialiasing. I wonder if this problem is back on the agenda or forgotten
again in favor of the next cool, but unnecessary feature of the day. When
our customers demand that our apps work correctly, yet the engine has a
serious design flaw, what can we do besides wait for Runtime to fix it?

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>