What's The Verdict, Web or Not?

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Sat Jul 1 23:35:46 EDT 2006

Sure they had problems, and they were also released many years ago. The
point is that a plug-in is well within possibility. Look at Director, which
basically started out as a clone of HyperCard. They certainly deliver as a
cross-platform plug-in that works. Flash achieved ubiquity and even bundling
with Windows. That is also comparable with Rev.

I don't know what you mean, really, by suggesting that such a plug-in
doesn't make "technical sense." You seem to be mixing the technical
challenge of creating such a plug-in with the technical challenge of writing
a stack that would run in a plug-in. As far as creating the plug-in
itself -- sure, I don't presume that to be easy. (Nothing worthwhile is!)
But, writing content for the plug-in should be as simple as setting the
stack size to the size of the region you want in the browser window and
going to town.

As for end-users "walking away" at plug-in installation -- there is a
percentage of viewers lost every time you click even a plain-jane HTML link!
That doesn't stop people from creating links. If your content is
useful/interesting enough, people will view it. It's much easier to get
someone to install a plug-in than it is to get them to download a player.
And honestly, it's a lot safer to download a plug-in (the executable is from
a known publisher) than to download a standalone.

If you look at the standalone download process on Windows, you get a warning
when you download the file, and two warning dialogs before you can run it.
Talk about people walking away! And they really should! Rev doesn't (and
can't) stop anyone from writing a standalone that completely munges your
system. But a web plug-in would provide a "sandbox" environment where it
would be reasonably safe to try out new content.

Unfortunately, I would tend to agree with you that it will "never happen" --
first because of the defeatism I've seen in the discussion thread; second
because people seem quite satisfied to cook up elaborate workarounds for
specific applications (i.e., export to DHTML); third because there are still
300 more-pressing enhancements needed in Rev (e.g., decent table objects);
and finally because the overall rate of improvement/entropy in Rev precludes
major new functions like this. (I'm still using 2.6.1 because 2.7.x remains
much less stable.)

I just hope that people don't confuse "won't get it" with "don't need it"
... even if that is a sound psychological coping strategy.

"Brian Yennie" <briany at qldlearning.com> wrote in
message news:80469c8ba243e57fdbdac667be568b82 at qldlearning.com...