Copyright issues with Revolution searches

Stgoldberg at aol.com Stgoldberg at aol.com
Tue Jan 31 22:53:16 EST 2006

I'm having a copyright attorney check out the issue and will get back to the
group with an opinion.   Basically the question involves the difference
between issuing a command like:

REvGoURL "http://images.google.com/"
which only goes to the google/images page, where the user can type in any
search words s/he pleases "e.g. dogs",

versus: "http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&
q=dogs" where Revolution goes to the Google/image site and automatically does the
search.

Personally (I'm not a lawyer), I can't think of a problem with just directing
the user to the Google/image site from a revolution application, just as one
can do the same from any website, whereupon the user can type in any search
words s/he pleases.   The issue is with doing the automatic search. On the one
hand, it's not doing anything much different from going to the Google/Image
page and pasting in the search words for the user.   I can see where some search
engines might object to this automaticity since it bypasses their home page,
where they want the user to see their advertising.   Google, though doesn't
have any advertising on their search page.   Nonetheless, I've sent in an
application to Google for the right to use the automatic search engine in a Rev
application and I'll let the group know the result, as well as the lawyer's
opinion.

Regarding being limited to a certain number of queries/day, how can Google
keep track of   a particular program that is distributed on different people's
computers?   I can see how they might keep track of the number of queries from
a single computer, but how can they know that 1000 people are using a
particular Revolution application on their computers to do a search? How would they
know that the application refers to my particular ID?
Steve Goldberg