How to get the table names of a connectedd database?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jan 31 01:54:49 EST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 1:00 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> Valentina 1.x, on the other hand (which is not SQL92
>> compliant), will accept single quotes around a table name.
>
> Actually Valentina 1.x around Table Names and Field Names expect
> to see [] -- this is oracle Style.

Good to know.  I've modified libDatabase accordingly.  Valentina
apparently accepts single quotes around the table name without
complaining though (at least running trough ViSQL).  It does not like
single quotes around column names though.

> Valentina 2.x which is SQL92 compliant use next rules:
>
>     string constants: always single quotes  ''
>
>     delimited identifiers:  "" -- SQL92
>                             [] -- Oracle Style.
>
> I.e. You cannot and should not use single quotes around field/table
> names.

Now SQLite, PosteGreSQL and Valentina 2 use double quotes, MySQL uses
` (libDatabase only adds quotes to queries that are generated at
runtime from arrays so portability won't be a concern as far as the
library is concerned) and Oracle and Valentina 1.x use oracle style
[].  I'm not sure what Oracle support is for double quote (I assume
it supports it) but I don't use it or have the docs so I'm leaving it
at [] until somebody confirms Oracles preferred quotes.

I've uploaded version 2.0.1.16 of libDatabase to <http://
www.mangomultimedia.com/developer/revolution>.  This fixes the
quoting issues mentioned above.

--