How to get the table names of a connectedd database?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 24 04:00:22 EST 2006

On 1/24/06 5:40 AM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:

Hi Trevor,

>> NB - AFAIK PostGres and quoting goes like this - think it is the
>> same for standard SQP? Single quotes for text values and double
>> quotes for Table Names - if you don't have funny character, spaces
>> or reserved words in the table names you do not need to quote them
>> - but single quotes for table names is a no-no.
>
> You are right, the SQL standard does specify double quote.  MySQL on
> the other hand prefers the ` character (numToChar(96)).  It will only
> accept double quotes if ANSI_QUOTES is enabled on the database
> server.

Right. Also

MySQL on default can recognize as '' so "".
Its lexer just remember start symbol, then search for the same end symbol.

> Valentina 1.x, on the other hand (which is not SQL92
> compliant), will accept single quotes around a table name.

Actually Valentina 1.x around Table Names and Field Names expect
to see [] -- this is oracle Style.

Valentina 2.x which is SQL92 compliant use next rules:

    string constants: always single quotes  ''

    delimited identifiers:  "" -- SQL92
                            [] -- Oracle Style.

I.e. You cannot and should not use single quotes around field/table names.

Even if you work in mySQL still is good idea to keep self strict and follow
SQL92 standard. Then your code will be portable

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology