case Sensitive

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jan 21 20:27:07 EST 2006

liamlambert wrote:

> I have a search stack that searches an SQLlite database the database
> is case sensitive
> does anyone know of a way around this
>
> setting the "set the caseSensitive to false" does not work

Right - that affects comparisons made within your script; I assume you
are doing the search using SQLite, and that wouldn't be affected by this
setting.

AFAIK (and I am NOT an SQLite expert), SQLite doesn't have a way to set
comparisons to use case insensitive; I have seen the recommendation to
use "LIKE" instead - e.g.  instead of

SELECT 'HELLO' = 'hello' results in 0

you would do

SELECT 'HELLO' LIKE 'hello' results in 1