LibURL downloading and Mail.app in OS X

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Jan 21 16:51:17 EST 2006

On Jan 21, 2006, at 12:03 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I have a project that uses libURL to download files from a server.
> One tester using OS X reports that if Mail.app is open and
> synchronizing mail, libURL fails pretty consistently to download.
> Apparently Mail.app doesn't play well with others, or else the Rev
> engine or libURL has a glitch.
>
> I just thought I'd mention this as a datapoint in case others
> experience the same thing. If anyone knows of a workaround, that'd
> be great too. Right now my app just reports a failure and stops
> downloading, but that's about all it can do.

Jacque,

What error does libURL report?  Can you get around this by trying to
download the url that caused the error again (trying a max of 3 times
or so)?  I ask because I have download over 1,000 files consecutively
on an OS X machine with Mail running and I didn't notice any
problems.  I use

load URL "myURL" with message "downloadComplete"

and check for errors in downloadComplete.  If a timeout (param 2 is
"timeout") or an error occurred (param 2 is "error") and
libURLErrorData() reports "socket closed before end of file", "error
socket is open" or just "error" then I try to download the URL a max
of 3 times.  I've had excellent results with this method on both OS X
and Windows.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia