File/Picture Chooser Widgets available for Windows XP

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Thu Jan 19 10:37:03 EST 2006

Thanks to your valuable feedback, I now know what tasks are immediately
ahead in order to make the widgets acceptable for your use. I'll be
going offline for a while now to concentrate on getting these things
sorted out as soon as possible, and I'll let you know as soon as the
widgets are hopefully "ready" again.

My aim for #1 is to give Windows XP users a simple, stable and
acceptable pair of widgets. This involves:

1) Getting rid of "Ken's bug" so that on computers where it appears the
user has no further trouble either running the widgets or altering the
INI parameters effectively.

2) Minimizing all "flashing" effects which are particularly apparent on
slower machines.

3) Allowing the operator to re-size the widgets manually, and to move
the central division between the left and right panes.

4) Removing the last picture previewed when the operator clicks on the
folders list in the left pane.

4) Eliminating the functions of keys which do not lead to a useful result.

5) Important "etceteras" as they arise.

My aim for #2 is to incorporate improvements suggested by Alex and
others, and some of my own. For example, I have already paved the way
for allowing the user to include his own background picture (usually
some coloured pattern): this would also involve allowing the user to
alter the colour of the text, to provide a satisfactory contrast.

As soon as I finish #1 for Windows XP, I will begin work on #1 for
Linux, simultaneously working on #2 for Windows. Quite possibly, when #1
for Linux is ready, much of the work achieved on #2 for Windows can be
transferred immediately to Linux. Finally, I can arrange for #2 of Linux
to be adapted to MAC (or another option would be to arrange the adaption
of #1 to MAC as soon as it is ready, and then do #2 afterwards).

I'll probably be back online again if I need help over the technical
aspects.

Regards,
Bob