Basic SQL database question

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jan 17 18:01:05 EST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 2:32 PM, David Bovill wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2006, at 22:11, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>> On Jan 17, 2006, at 12:51 PM, David Bovill wrote:
>>

>> Most likely.  It could be a bug in 1) binding with PostGreSQL or
>> 2) the PostGreSQL revdb code.  I would try coding a raw SQL update
>> statement and see what happens.  If that works then I would assume
>> it is a binding issue.
>
> The raw SQL works for UPDATE and INSERT. But I am not sure what you
> mean by a binding issue - connecting is OK?

Whenever you see a :1 (or :2, :3) in a query it is using binding.
Take a look at the last parameter description in the docs for
revQueryDatabase and read the "Comments" section.  I don't think the
docs refer to this as binding but that is one name for what they are
doing.

> NB: this seems to be where the beta 2.0 library fails:
>
> Database error: Error: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "'roles'" at
> character 15
>  SQL: SELECT * FROM 'roles' WHERE 'id' = -1
>
> IS there a problem with the quoting of 'roles' for PostGreSQL perhaps?

That is very possible.  I haven't done any testing with PostGreSQL so
the the quoting of columns may not be correct.  If you (or anyone
else wants to provide that info I can easily update the library.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com