[OT Rant] Re: Portable Apps..?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Jan 16 11:26:20 EST 2006

Bongu Jim,

>All stated that it would NOT be accepted in any corporate
>environment in Europe as
>corporations were banning the use of such devices by people in the office.
>No employees were allowed to use such a device in the office.

What follows is a rant...please feel free to trash it without reading
it (or respond to me privately?):

Society, at least in America, is disintegrating because of the
prevalent atmosphere of distrust.

* I grew up in a society where people were presumed innocent until
proven guilty; I live in a society where the government asks its
citizens to presume there are enemy terriorists among the people around them.

* I live in a society where armed, plain-clothes government agents
ride planes, trains, & busses with authority to shoot to kill if
anyone utters the words, "I have a bomb", or otherwise acts suspiciously.

* I live in a society where a major international airport is shut
down for hours because a luggage screener sees "something that looked
suspicious" in a suitcase and instead of asking the owner to open the
suitcase, reports it to authorities who--after talking to the
owner--take the suitcase to the street and blast it with a water cannon.

* I live in a society where a flashlight found in a public restroom
is sent to an FBI lab to make sure it isn't actually a bomb, the
flashlight's owner is being threatened with prosecution, and the
authorities & news agencies are still making a case that this was not
the asanine screw up that it was.

 From your post (plus the subway killing in London and the public's
acceptance of it) it appears this distrust is world-wide and
permeating the private sector as well.

I thank God that I am old enough to have lived most of my life in a
freer society; but wonder what quality of life awaits my grandson,
living in a world where he is distrusted by his government and his
employer as well.

Society is a joint undertaking; and civilization based on force,
secrecy, and distrust condems its members to hell on earth.

Rob Cozens

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

  --James Madison, April 20, 1795