Portable Apps..?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Jan 15 11:18:45 EST 2006

Jim,

>All stated that it would NOT be accepted in any corporate
>environment in Europe as
>corporations were banning the use of such devices by people in the office.
>No employees were allowed to use such a device in the office.

I must say I'm surprised to hear this.

 From my limited experience, I would guess that many corporate and
other business enterprises allow employees to take company laptops
home or on the road with them, use their own computer for company
business, or to take software and documents home on mass storage to
work on their own computer after hours.  If the organization allows
one to take a company computer out of the office, what security is
gained by prohibiting small mass storage devices in the office?

I cannot imagine trying to run a business of any size without
allowing some subset of employees access to company computers & data
off-site and after hours.  If that is allowed, banning the use of
small mass storage devices seems non sequitur to this foole.

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company