Architecting the Doc Solution

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Jan 15 07:53:05 EST 2006

I really like the "cookbook" model of mutual help at, for example,
	http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

In various languages, I've found that after the initial bootstrapping
phase (Dan Shafer's book can help people through that), the cookbook
approach is very efficient: I know enough to know what it is I don't
know, I formulate it as a how-do-I-do-this problem, and look up the
keywords that percolate into consciousness in the process. On a big
site like the ASPN one, most problems have dozens of solutions, and
choosing one, even in a rush, always teaches me something.

This is the long-winded way of saying I think Marielle's approach to
code-fragment collection may turn out to be the missing link of docs.

Charles Hartman