Architecting the Doc Solution

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Sun Jan 15 04:33:14 EST 2006

(For some reason, I cannot post on revdocs, which has anyway become
inactive, so I put my reply here)

 > Am sitting here with Marielle and have been discussing the wiki
 > strategy we wish to see at least. The aim is to work on this with or
 > without RunRev support in January. I have registered the domains
 > suggested and set up the hosting and much of the infrastructure, but
 > have a couple of technical problems with subversion on the Trustix
 > distro to resolve.

Hum, written on my behalf but without letting me know about it.

There is a bit of misunderstanding there. What I had proposed David
was to buy a domain like "openrev.org" to host a set of webservices
more specifically focused on the members of the community who have
small or no commercial interest. The idea was to start working on the
creation of a library of shared functions/components. Unfortunately,
we didn't get to discuss much of this. Initially, I thought we did
but it appeared there was some conflict of interest and the
discussion had no positive outcome with regards to an open alliance
of any kind. Some parallel discussion has taken place with Alain
Farmer, of xcard (<http://pan.uqam.ca/xcards/pmwiki.php>) but nothing
tangible has come out of these discussions. This may change in a few
months, but for now, there is nothing tangible in terms of a "small
or non profit runrev users alliance".

I produced the codes cms on my own webserver, to host a catalogue of
codes, as a first step in that direction. This was something missing
and this was not something I could expect runrev to take care of.
Frankly, I prefer them to work on improving the nice application of
theirs than to spend an hour or two every day maintaining such a CMS
like the one I propose there. I hope that this cms will reduce the
reasons some users have to express dissatisfaction at runrev services
but I am aware more could be done.

 > Also as Marielle lives in Edinburgh - thinking of doing a
 > presentation to RunRev regarding these options early next year.

Hmm, David, you didn't tell me that. Anyway, I met runrev team on my
own behalf about some issues I have as somebody who tries to have
revolution better promoted in the education community and who cannot
do much without runrev support. My demarch has always been to try to
support their effort rather than propose to take responsibilities
"with or without rev support" that are theirs and should never be
mine.  Yes, on the use-rev list I proposed to have forums created
elsewhere as they were recurrent complaints about the traffic on the
use-rev list... which  by experience is really a problem for non
profit/education users who have only 3-4 hours a week to spend on the
list. I have said that there was no need to ask for runrev approval
simply because that's the case... we don't need runrev approval to
create a forum on some runrev related topic. But I never proposed to
host the revdocs with or without RunRev support. If they believe I
can help them identify the best system to host this doc, I will
humbly share my experience of cms wih them. If they need a hand, I
will gladly give it. But I won't host the revdocs on any of my
websites nor join a group that does (host revdocs on private websites
without runrev endorsement).

In fact, what I rather suggested to Kevin and Mark (of runrev) was to
try to channel the discontentment expressed on the list by having
some community members encourage and facilitate some  better
community structure. The problem I tried to address is that there is
the feeling that there is a mechanism for the "entreprise" members to
influence decisions (with improve-revolution list) but there is none
for the "non profit/education user". Of course, we cannot expect to
have runrev encourage one-to-one contact between all its users and
the company. The idea, then, was to have a few persons from this non
profit/education community taking a role of "representative" who have
for role to channel and centralize the requests and suggestions and
meet once or twice a year with the rev team to pass the information
and get the rev team feedback on it, pass it down to the members.
Hence, what has been expressed on the list is that users decided to
rant because they had the impression that any more "positive"
approach (suggestion, recommendation, request) will have no effect
whatsoever. What I argue for is the set up some structure by which
"small" users (non profit/education) get a chance to  submit requests
and suggestions to the rev team without having to directly complain
to revolution or write infuriating posts on the list.

Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk