Lexicall update

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Sat Jan 14 06:57:12 EST 2006

Dear all,

That's it, I changed of provider for a better and more reliable one.
This means that there will be further interruption of service for a
day or two, the time for the re-routing etc. to be set in place. I
was planning a smooth change to a new provider very soon, the recent
problems forced an emergency one. Sorry for that.

These guys have a very interesting approach to business. I contacted
them 2 months ago because they advertised on their webpage a far
better service for a business account than the one I had with them...
a business account. I asked whether an upgrade was possible. They
told me I was dreaming. I asked whether I would be upgraded when my
contract would be renewed, they told me again I was dreaming. I was
on one of the "old" servers. The better service was only on the "new"
servers and they will just keep me on the old server, even when I
would pay for a new yearly subscription. If I wanted a change, I had
to cancel my contract and sign a new one... take a backup before
closing my account, restore everything by myself after the transfer.
Now, they suspended my account without any warning and without any
explanation for this other that my website has been very active over
the last week (yes, I have been working on it all the time!)...
apparently, they have spent many hours on this and couldn't find a
cause for this in terms of script running (I have no cron job, no
other script than the ones in php pages). Well you get an idea of
what you get when your service provider is probably nothing more than
4 guys with a few machines in a basement.

Anyway, I put more bucks into this, now I have unlimited space,
unlimited bandwidth, so hopefully this is to last.  Apologizes again.

Marielle
--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk