Portable Apps..?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 13 15:41:23 EST 2006

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Rob-
>
> Friday, January 13, 2006, 8:15:29 AM, you wrote:
>
>> I can run my Photo Portfolio standalone [almost 100 MB] from a UBC
>> Jump Drive or from a CD-ROM; but it takes well over a minute to load.
>
> I'm not surprised about the CDROM speeds - they're about the same as a
> floppy disk (...anybody remember floppy disks?). I can't find a good
> reference for UBC other than the U of British Columbia, but if you
> meant to say USB then you should consider switching to USB 2.0. The
> speed difference is dramatic. USB 1.1 transfer speeds are limited to
> 12MBits/second, while USB 2.0 can reach 480MBits/second. That should
> cut your minute down to a couple of seconds.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the difference is also a function of
the type of RAM used in flash drives, since non-volatile RAM is slower
than the type we use in computer memory.  I.e., a USB flash drive should
be expected to be slower than a USB hard drive.

Or so I think.

Anyone got the facts on the speed difference between Flash RAM and
normal RAM?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal