Dynamic tabStops (enhanced)

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Fri Jan 13 12:46:01 EST 2006

Hi again Roger,

Below a version easier to understand I have commented and slightly
modified :-)
The single parameter is the short name of the field.

on SetTabStops pFld
   local tNumOfLines,tNumOfItems = 0,tTabStopsList
   constant kPixelsAdded = 10 -- adjust this value as wanted
   ----- intialization:
   -- number of columns (works even if the number of items is not the
same in all lines)
   set the itemDel to tab
   repeat for each line tLine in fld pFld
     put max(the number of items of tLine,tNumOfItems) into tNumOfItems
   end repeat
   put the number of lines of fld pFld into tNumOfLines
   -- creating variables (as many as columns):
   repeat with i = 0 to tNumOfItems
     do "put 0 into r" & i
   end repeat
   ----- getting the wider item for each column:
   repeat with i = 1 to tNumOfLines
     repeat with j = 1 to tNumOfItems
       set the htmlText of fld "Template" to the htmlText of item j
of line i of fld pFld
       do "put max(r" & j & comma & "the formattedWidth of line 1 of
fld" && quote & "Template" & quote & ") + kPixelsAdded into r" & j
     end repeat
   end repeat
   ----- building the right values (ts2 = ts1 + ts2, etc.):
   repeat with i = tNumOfItems down to 2
     repeat with j = i down to 2
       do "add r" & j - 1 && "to r" & i
     end repeat
   end repeat
   ----- building the tab stops list:
   repeat with i = 1 to tNumOfItems
     do "put r" & i && "after tTabStopsList"
     put comma after tTabStopsList
   end repeat
   put 10000 after tTabStopsList
   -- to throw away the last vertical bar if vertical bars are displayed
   set the tabstops of fld pFld to tTabStopsList
end SetTabStops

> Le 13 janv. 06 à 16:41, Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com a écrit :
>
>> I need a table field to auto-resize to fit the tab-delimited
>> content. What
>> is a good method for growing/shrinking the tabStops to fit the
>> longest
>> text of each item of a field?

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet