Portable Apps..?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 12 21:49:29 EST 2006

Chipp Walters wrote:
> I've been thinking a lot about this lately-- and I'm leaning on the side
> of creating next versions of my apps as mostly portable from now on.
> Portable apps have the distinguishing feature they are entirely
> self-contained in a single folder and can even be stored on USB drives
> if the user wishes. They are easy to install and delete and move, as
> well as maintain. For more info on portable apps check out:
> http://portableapps.com/
> Any thoughts about this before I take the leap?

The thread "checking removable drives" in this archive has some
discussion on this:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2005-November/thread.html>

One solution is for the app to attempt to write to its own folder, and
if that fails then it writes where the OS vendor recommends.

Another is to use a DriveType external.  Mark Weider was kind enough to
send me his.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal