Portable Apps..?

Jerry Muelver jerry at hytext.com
Thu Jan 12 21:05:50 EST 2006

From: "Chipp Walters"

> I've been thinking a lot about this lately-- and I'm leaning on the side
> of creating next versions of my apps as mostly portable from now on.
. . .
> Any thoughts about this before I take the leap?

My apps are completely portable, so far. I run them from a USB jumpdrive, on
Windows, Mac, and Linux. I have the three flavors of StackRunner, each in
its own folder (Windows version uses a couple of DLLs it needs handy). My
app, in a set of .rev stacks, lives in an "app" folder. Plug it in, fire up
the appropriate StackRunner, grab the stack file, and I'm off and running.
No installation, no registry-diddling, no Applications folder fiddling, no
shell command starter scripts. No more lugging laptops, either!

---- Jerry Muelver