Bible Searching

SupermanSlyr at aol.com SupermanSlyr at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 15:07:40 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/12/2006 1:47:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:

 Hello again everyone! I come to you today in reference to a project  I've
been working on lately. I'm trying to make a bible studying program. I have  the
books of the bible in TXT files in a folder (Just managing that was a
task...). I wanted to add the ability to look up verses individually,  but the way
the bible text is set up in those TXT files I'm having trouble  figuring out
how to accomplish that. Here is an example of the way the  books are formatted
consistently in TXT files (According by book):

    Genesis 1:1-31

1 In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness  upon
the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and
fro over the surface of the waters.

3 And God proceeded to say: “Let light come to be.” Then there came to  be
light. 4 After that God saw that the light was good, and God brought about a
division between the light and the darkness. 5 And God began calling the light
Day, but the darkness he called Night. And there came to be evening and there
 came to be morning, a first day.

 As you can see it's not set up in the usual sense. The "Book Name" is
written at the top along with the current chapter, as well as  how many verses are
contained in that chapter. Then from that point  onward each verse is listed
starting with its corresponding number  until the chapter changes, at which
point the next book or chapter will be  listed at the top with the verses just as
in this example, and the process  starts over.

 So what I can't figure out is how to tell Revolution when a said  verse
starts and when it ends. Like if someone looks up John 3:16 (By  typing it in) I
can't figure out how to tell Revolution where John  3:16 is since it's all
contained in separate text files and the way its written.  I can display the books
in a field, but it's just giant blocks of text in some  cases (Some books are
obviously larger than others). I want it to be more  useful. I'm completely
stumped on this one. My first thought was to go back  and put some kind of item
delimiter at the start and ending of each verse,  but wow would that take an
amazing amount of time! Is there any other  options?

Also when searching for a particular subject, how would I highlight the
results in the field? Thanks again everyone!

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/