Printing problem on Windows machine

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctortimothyMiller.com
Wed Jan 11 17:06:27 EST 2006

Greetings,

I never imagined I'd stop using my trusty Macintosh. However, I'm
trying the stacks I use to run my business on a Windows XP machine,
at least temporarily. Except for minor adjustments of button types,
text margins and such, it seemed to work fine, until today.

The problem command is not exactly unusual:

revPrintField (the name of bg field "text")

This would normally produce two or three pages of printer output.
It's worked perfectly on thousands of occasions on my Macintosh.

On the XP machine there is something terribly wrong with the printed
output. Oddly, the first page prints just dandy. On subsequent pages,
two or three characters, even more, get printed on top of each other.
This mostly happens on the right hand side of each line, though that
is not consistent.

I tried setting the formatforPrinting property of the stack to true.
No help. I know I'm following the proper procedure (rather
cumbersome, it seems) for setting that property, because the little
script I wrote reports the value of the property with an "answer"
dialog box.

I tried setting the printmargins to a reasonable value -- a value
that works fine on the Windows machine on another stack, where I
print a card, not a field. No help. As far as I can tell, the
printmargins apply only to printing cards, anyway -- not fields.

So, I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If this
issue has been discussed endlessly, a helpful link would probably be
sufficient.

Cheers,

Tim Miller