[OT] .ds_store Messing Up ZIP

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 19:44:38 EST 2006

Scott

Try the free program "FinderCleaner" which is able to clean (remove!)
the following:

     - .DS_Store files
     - Resource forks
     - FBC files
     - .Trashes

Here's the description from the ReadMe:

What is it?
FinderCleaner is a small application that helps you when you share
volumes or folders with Windows users (or any other OS for that
matter), for example USB memory sticks. FinderCleaner deletes some
files and folders invisible to Mac users but visible to Windows users
so Windows users don't get stuck with annoying files that have no use
to them. Mac users need not to worry about deleting these files
because the volume will still work as usual. Note that you cannot
move files to the trash on the selected volume after running this app
until you eject and mount it again. You can still delete files but
you will be warned that they will be deleted immediately. This app
may also be of use when you have trouble with devices like mp3
players or mobile phones that have trouble with Mac OS specific files.

What does it exactly do?
FinderCleaner removes the following files and folders:
.DS_Store
.Trashes
Resource forks.
FBC files.

Optionally FinderCleaner can eject the volume in a way where the
above mentioned files will not be created on eject. Ejecting in the
Finder will at least recreate some of the mess you just cleaned.

You can download it from the usual places including:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16996

Cheers

Peter

--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk