[OT] .ds_store Messing Up ZIP

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Jan 3 19:14:47 EST 2006

I've been plagued by this enough that I thought I would ask...

For me, creating simple ZIP archives on Mac systems that contain a few files
is usually straightforward.  However, I often find that when the ZIP
archives starts to contain nested subfolders, I often wind up with invisible
.ds_store files that corrupt the archive when it comes time to decompress on
Windows systems.  The only recourse seems to be to move folders over to
Windows, delete any .ds_store files, and compress there.

Is there any Mac utility out there that allows one to poke around inside a
ZIP archive to delete these extraneous .ds_store files?  Or even better,
some way to tell Stuffit to ignore/delete these files in the first place?

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director