SQL Statement on Multiple Lines

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 13:08:41 EST 2006

On 1/3/06 7:18 AM, "Bill" <bill at bluewatermaritime.com> wrote:
>the "\"  (...) Can't be
> used to split a string.

There is a very good reason for this convention:
This allows you to use any words you want in a text string and they will not
be confused with commands.  Imagine wanting to use the word "repeat" in a
paragraph that the user will read, but the compiler said 'too, bad, it is a
reserved word'.  And all the others = "it, for, when, put, end, while,
format, folder, file, into, ........"

Basically, the compiler is digesting variables, assignments, repeat loops,
reserved words, etc, but *suspends* this while scanning a text string,
therefore, it does detect special structures like end-of-command-line.

HTH
Jim Ault
Las Vegas