One cute hack for MacOS X (... or nice internet protocol helper hacks...)

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 04:02:42 EST 2006

On 3 Jan 2006, at 06:57, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Andre Garzia wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 2006, at 3:43 AM, Ken Ray wrote:
>>> That's so cool, Andre! Nicely done... any idea on how to do it
>>> on  Windows?
>>>
>>> ;-)
>> I bet it's a registry hack, might even be easier than Macs...
>> I'll  find out and tell you! ;-)
>> the beauty of this solution is that the stacks never touch the
>> disk,  it's all on memory, the GURLGURL event will tell rev a URL
>> and Rev  will load it on the fly. It's not like Safari downloading
>> the stack,  taging it as a safe file type and loading after the
>> download. I don't  know if we have this kind of flexibility in
>> windows, but I'll do some  research!
>
> Is there a way to have a user set this up without having to do it
> manually themselves by downloading that specialized app?
>
> It would be ideal if this could be set up via AppleScript, driven
> by the click of a button in our apps....

Wouldn't this be opening up a huge security hole for users if it
could be done this easily? If I understand this correctly, this would
be similar to the "help" protocol security issue that was around with
OS X 10.2.8 (or thereabouts). See the following URL.

   http://mamamusings.net/archives/2004/05/18/
serious_os_x_security_problem.php

Andre wrote:

> What can you do with things such as this? Well, you can create
> educational resources as HTML and create little demo stacks, when
> the user clicks on the demo stack links inside the HTML, the app
> will load on demand inside Revolution (or Dreamcard player,
> whichever is available, you could even create your own loader using
> splash techniques), which would be a very easy student user
> experience.

Unfortunately, I think someone could also add links in web pages to
stacks  that read/delete your hard drive contents, install and launch
other apps, etc.

Sorry to be the doom merchant. :-)

Cheers
Dave