Send Keys and Window ID's?

Garrett Hylltun garretthylltun at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 05:19:43 EST 2006

On Dec 31, 2005, at 8:16 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> I haven't researched the docs yet, but was just wondering if Rev/DC
>> is capable of sending key strokes to non-Rev/DC windows.  If yes,
>> could someone just point me to the command(s) that will get me going?
>>
>> Also, I'm still a newb to mac and want to know if OSX windows have
>> id's and or names that I can use to send the key strokes to.
>>

> Rev can't do that directly, but most applications can be controlled
> with AppleScript. If they are not directly AppleScriptable, you can
> use GUI scripting as described here
> <http://www.apple.com/applescript/uiscripting/>.
>
> Write and test your AppleScripts in the AppleScript Script Editor,
> then copy then over to Rev, put them in a custom property or a field,
> then run them like this:
>
> put the cApplescript of this stack into tScript
> -- where cApplescript is the name of the custom property storing
> the script
> do tScript as AppleScript
>
> HTH,
> Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure if this is going to be possible
then.  I'm trying to setup some hotkeys for my "Age of Empires II"
game.  In my MS Windows days, I made a hotkey program that allowed me
to just hit two keys, and then my program would take care of
repetitive typing within the game.  In Window, the game does have a
window id, but I don't know about OSX.  As for being AppleScriptable,
I some how doubt this game will be cooperative in that sense.  But
I'll check it out just to see.

Thanks to you and the others who also replied :-)

-Garrett