[ANN] HOOT: Hacked Object Oriented Transcript

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Feb 27 23:02:27 EST 2006

Scott-

Monday, February 27, 2006, 11:30:30 AM, you wrote:

> Actually, that's not what I meant.  Using the long name or ID provides a
> "full" path to an object (including the card the object sits on, group its
> in, etc).  I haven't used your notation above but using a "simple" object
> reference (that excludes the card reference for example) may be what causes
> the engine barf and lose track of things.  Again, YMMV, but using long
> ID/name appear to be "safer".

Well, I *do* use the semilong id (control id n of this stack) when I'm
accessing objects and haven't run into a problem yet. As a failsafe,
though, I store just the id and then when I'm ready to use it I expand
it into the semilong form and check the referenced object. And, of
course, use a special case the stack id (storing it as card id x of
stack y). IDs are documented as being unique and immutable (except for
images and stacks). Are there particular situations where this causes
problems for you?

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net