[ANN] HOOT: Hacked Object Oriented Transcript

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Feb 27 13:54:27 EST 2006

Recently, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Regarding the "long id" thing, Dick Kriesel and I were talking about
> this last month and I have now switched my usage over to just "the
> id", based on the fact that ids within a stack are unique and
> immutable. You can pass ids without any problem and it's just a single
> data point: you don't have to parse it for path items at all.
>
> control pID of this stack
>
> does the trick. The only exception I had to implement is for messages
> coming from or to a stack, since the stack id changes with each new
> object.

I would be wary of this, from the standpoint of using object references in
variables.  I've come across intermittent cases in complex scripts where I
artificially created an object reference by placing something like "image
xyz of stack abc" into variable, and the engine would sometimes read garbage
characters in place of the object reference.  I can't explain why, and I
don't know if long ID parses more reliably than long name (I can say I spent
many agonizing hours trying to track this down).  In my situation, using the
long ID appeared to fix the problem.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director