Rev 2.7 Editor & stability problems

Gordon Webster gwalias-rev at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 21:12:22 EST 2006

Like other users on this list, I also see serious stability problems with Rev 2.7 under WinXP. I have experienced several crashes while editing and testing scripts, none of which seem to have any consistent pattern. I will try and figure out what I was doing when the crashes occurred so that I can provide more information to the list.

The script editor seems to have real problems when you edit "repeat .." loops.

If you have a script like this

repeat with x = 1 to 10
 repeat with y = 1 to 20
   ... do something
  end repeat
end repeat

and you try to insert a line between the 2 'repeat' statements, the editor tries to insert new 'end repeat' statements and blank lines and it all gets horribly messy. Yes I could use Constellation, or maybe there's an option to switch off the autocomplete feature on the loops, but frankly I would consider this a bug. One of the crashes I experienced was actually while I was trying to clean up after the editor had messed up my code.

I am a fan of Rev but I feel compelled to say that it seems like inverted priorities on Runrev's part to add fancy cosmetic features like multiple blend modes on controls before addressing more fundamental issues of Rev's basic stability and user interface, not to mention some of the language features that some of us have been asking for for some time, like support for real arrays and so on.

I am rather disappointed that Rev 2.7 is not the big leap forward I had hoped it would be and also, that a considerable portion of its users seem to be experiencing new stability problems that weren't a problem in the previous release.

Here's hoping that these things can be fixed pretty soon.

Best

Gordon