OT: Internet Rich Applications Patent Granted

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Feb 24 17:47:39 EST 2006

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?
articleID=180206472&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

[snip]

"How broad is the patent? Here's what the patent abstract says it
covers: A host computer, containing processes for creating rich-media
applications, is accessed from a remote user computer system via an
Internet connection. User account information and rich-media
component specifications are uploaded over the Internet for a
specific user account. Rich-media applications are created, deleted,
or modified in a user account, with rich-media components added to,
modified in, or deleted from the rich-media application based on
information contained in a user request. After creation, the rich-
media application is viewed or saved on the host computer system, or
downloaded to the user computer system over the Internet."

Amazing...I'm got a patent pending too: "I hearby patent the process
of grinding of grain to produce a fine, powder like substance, mix
with water and yeast and bake it."  My lawyers will be asking you
where you got your sandwich...

Seriously, (as we are right in the middle of building such an app...)
do we need to take it seriously?

Gov of India was smart to recently document all prior art for 1000's
of indigenous plants and medicines.

Sivakatirswami