Transcript and Dot Notation

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:02:13 EST 2006

I seem to have a knack for starting discussion threads that are
probably just close enough to being on topic to avoid their immediate
crushing by Listmom Heather and yet generate significant amounts of
message traffic for which some people here probably wish I would just
shut up or go away. Preferably both.

But Judy Perry, in the thread about Bugzilla that I started yesterday,
said something that I thought ought to spawn a new thread, so here it
is.

She said, "Lingo went to c.dot.syntax.hell in a very short fashion...
Please don't
let Transcript follow behind Lingo!"

I am an object-oriented programmer by training and disposition. Every
single object oriented programming language that I've used (and I have
admittedly not used them all) with the single exception of Smalltalk
(which I actually think got it right) uses dot notation. Java.
JavaScript. Lingo. Ruby. Python. All of them. It is an accepted
convention in OO languages where it is essential to identify methods
and attributes with object namespaces.

So if Transcript does go object-oriented -- and I hope and believe it
will, though it may be an alternative fork rather than a forced switch
-- I hope it *does* in fact adopt dot notation so that all of us who
have trained our brains to think in those terms when we create and
program with objects will e comfortable doing so.

FWIW.