Showing linkText on mouse over

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Fri Feb 24 14:19:42 EST 2006

At 10:49 AM -0700 2/24/2006, Devin Asay wrote:
>on mouseWithin
>   if the mouse is down then exit mouseWithin ## interrupt this
>handler to pay attention to the mouse.
>   if the textStyle of the mouseText contains "link" then
>     put the linkText of the mouseText into fld "status"
>   else
>     put empty into fld "status"
>   end if
>end mouseWithin
>
>It seems to be working reliably now. Anybody know of any reason why
>this approach might be a bad idea? Sort of like how we've been
>encouraged not to use things like 'wait until the mouseClick'?

It shouldn't be a problem the way you're using it here. The mouse
function can eat CPU if it's being polled - called repeatedly, as in
"wait until the mouse is down" or "repeat until the mouse is up" or
similar - but here you're only calling it once per round of the
handler. I think even Scott would approve. ;-)
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com