Showing linkText on mouse over

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:35:00 EST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Jonathan Lynch wrote:

> hello,
>
> What I mean is this:
>
> Pretend the following is a link:    Q
>

> When your mouse moves over the Q, you display a field that shows
> the content
> of the linktext. You have to make sure the position of that field
> does not
> cover the link, and that it moves with the mouse.

Ah, I see. Actually my situation is a bit different. The field I am
putting the contents of the linkText into is in a fixed location
below the field with the links in it, so there is never a physical
interference between the two. What I was finding was that using
either a mouseWithin or a mouseMove handler was somehow preventing
the linkClicked handler from being invoked when I clicked on some
linked text. The visited property of the linked text chunk would even
get set to true and the text would change to the visited color, but
the linkClicked handler would intermittently not run. I solved it by
adding 'if the mouse is down then exit mouseWithin' at the beginning
of my mouseWithin handler.

Thanks.

devin

Devin Asay