On the Democratic Operation of Bugzilla

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Thu Feb 23 20:10:31 EST 2006

Hi Garrett,

> I guess I'm not specifically upset with the bug issue, but with
> several issues.  My views of how things should be are not
> that of the
> majority.  I can be extreme in my views about products should
> be free
> of bugs and such.  And usually "you get what you pay for"
> holds true,
> but I'm feeling cheated here.  Typically if you pay hundreds,
> you get
> a sold product, and I don't see that now.  And I see a company that
> may or may not have some of it's own internal management and
> priority
> issues.

While I can understand your frustration I can say - categorically -
that in my twenty years plus as a programmer I'm yet to find a
development platform that had no bugs - even show stoppers!  The
reason is simple.  Hardware and OS and well as other running software
(anti-virus and a plethora of others).  Over these years I have come
to accept this as the way it is - as do many developers - and that
an update to a prior release is usually dispatched after a given
period, where as upgrades are less frequent and generally include
bug fixes and new elements and in the process start a whole new
round of bugs.  I'm yet to find a programming platform that has
zero bugs.  Compared to other cross-platform tools I have used
(RealBasic, Kylix and some others) Rev is incredibly stable and
the price is right (QT C++ sells for around US $1,200 for the
basic package).

Cheers

Scott