Interoperability -- Same Name Substacks

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Feb 22 23:39:54 EST 2006

[snip]

On Feb 22, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Well, substacks aren't in the normal message passing hierarchy, so
> you don't
> need to rename them unless you want to.

Ken, thanks for registering "htde"

OK, then, it leads to another question..Let me put this on the forum
since I think's important for Rev Kekis to get a handle on this
substack business...(was hard for me in the beginning)

If one is running in the IDE and

MainStack A has a subStack "Prefs"

and then you open

MainStack B which *also* has a subStack "Prefs"

then you get some horrible msg about bad things can happen...

And in fact they have to me..

But, if someone were running a player and then opened

Mainstack A

and then it downloaded

MainStack B

and both of those stacks each had a substack "Prefs"

are you saying that there will be no problems (because we are not in
the IDE)?

This would imply that the core Metacard Engine has no difficulty with
two substacks with the same name attached to two different main
stacks open at the same time -- i.e. entering data in Prefs of one
will not be confused with entering data with Prefs in the second open
stack--everything gets saved where it should be saved--nothing gets
clobbered; because, presumably, the MC core engine sees the two
different substacks with the same name as different "binary objects"
even if their "high level" short name is the same. Hopefully that is
the case.

= Assumption: only the IDE, and related plugins get unhappy with same
named substacks open at the same time.

It's an important question, considering the kinds of corruption and
data loss envisioned if that assumption is wrong.

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
www.HimalayanAcademy.com,