Workgroup Computers

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Feb 22 13:42:29 EST 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Bridger Maxwell wrote:

> Hey,
>   Does anyone out there know how to access a list of workgroup
> computers or
> anything similar?  I am making a networking stack, but it has to be
> able to
> detect all the computers that it is hooked up to.  I would like
> something
> that works on any system, but I am mainly looking for it to work on
> a Mac.

This is sort of low tech, but is easy and might give you what you want:

put the defaultfolder into oldDef
set the defaultfolder to "/Volumes"
put the folders & cr
set the defaultfolder to "/Network"
put the folders & cr after msg
set the defaultfolder to oldDef

The /Volumes directory will give you a list of mounted local and
network volumes, and /Network will give you a list of the Rendezvous
(?) and Windows workgroups. Then you could recursively parse those
directories to get a list of available servers.

I like low-tech. ;-)

Devin