Frustration: put after URL...

Thomas McCarthy tominjapan at excite.com
Mon Feb 20 18:51:12 EST 2006

Thanks Dave and Bruce for the info...

This (below) was very interesting;

>(By the way, the engine makes two calls to the url to do this. First
it retrieves the entire url from the server, then writes back the
retrieved data with the new data appended. So this may not offer the
efficiency you expected.)

Yes, I was looking for efficiency as well as privacy (not to mention simplicity!). I didn't want to do this via getting a cgi; as I understand it, those calls can be read. (is this still true if one does it through rev and not with the user's browser?)

However, if there is a question of some users' system settings blocking this, as Bruce said, then I will rework it into a cgi call. There are some other parts of the program that use 'put...after url' for updating records, so I'll rework those as well.

very useful info. Thanks.
tm