[Tip] Propeties & sets & List of 'reserved words' and gotchas

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Feb 20 17:36:10 EST 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> I've seen references that the brackets are enough to serve as
> quotes - it works either way for me. That's not the problem.
>
> Quotes or no quotes - I've found one can't save a custom property
> with a name of an existing regular PROPERTY in the same object
> without problems -- unless of course the quotes appear in the name...
>
> custom props with names like name, title, tabstops, html ,etc. will
> cause trouble in various ways -
>
> Try it - won't work in the properties inspector or from script. It
> will seem to have been entered, but reading back the prop name will
> display the regular property rather than your custom one...or just
> nothing.
>
> Not knowing this has caused hours of weirdness, because there is no
> error reporting on custom prop activity.
>
> Reserved words aren't part of the properties system, but I've
> become suspicious of using them. Another reason to use standard
> naming conventions I guess.

Stephen,

Let me see if I understand correctly.  Are you saying you can't do
something like this:

set the uMyPropSet["name"] of this stack to "my value"

?

I use rev reserved words all of the time using array notation and
have never had problems.  Am I not understanding something?

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com